St. Clare of Assisi Catholic Church
Rite of Confirmation 2011-2012
Goal: To awaken the teens to the presence of the Holy Spirit in their lives and to complete their Christian initiation. This is not their “choosing” God, but realizing that God has chosen them and has called them to bear much fruit.
Parent Involvement: The parents’ role in the preparation process for Confirmation is a continuation of their on-going nurturing, supporting and encouraging of the candidates’ spiritual growth. However, because a free response is required of a candidate, the parental role is very much one of spiritual companion and advisor-helping the youth to see and allow the Spirit to work in their lives. Parents are to support and encourage, without coercion, the journey toward the Sacrament; share their own faith journey; listen carefully to their child; pray with and for him/her.
Sponsor Involvement: The sponsor is an invaluable assistant to the parent in transmitting the faith. The sponsor’s role is to “walk and talk” with the candidate. This person should be someone present in the candidate’s life and should speak with the candidate on a regular basis. The specific requirements of a sponsor are listed on the Sponsor form in your packet.
· 1 year of preparation
· 6 Sacramental Prep Saturdays (Sac Sats)
· 2 hours of content per Saturday (see calendar)
· At each meeting, candidate will receive a take home packet to go over with parent and sponsor. Parent and sponsor will receive it by email or mail and all handouts will be posted on the website.
· Homework assignment will be due at the following Sac Sat.
· Attend 80% of Life Nights each semester (8 per semester)
· Attend 6 Sac Sats
· Attend Affirmation Ritual, Ritual of Enrollment, & Rite of Confirmation
· Attend 3 of the planned service projects OR 20 service hours- 10 within the Church, 10 outside of the Church
· Complete Letter to Fr. Vincent stating readiness to be confirmed
· Complete Home Assignments (6)- Due at the following Sac Sat
· Attend 1 Sponsor Lunch Session
· Attend 2 retreats (Opening Retreat and Confirmation retreat)
· Attend 1 Community Conference/Retreat (AYC, Steubenville, TeenACTS)
· Complete Entrance and Final Readiness Interviews
· Attend Post-Confirmation gathering